Last Updated: April 2, 2021
2. General Terms
- Spaarrow, LLC. may be referred to as "Sparrow," “we,” “our,”or “us.”
- We call a user or client of the Spaarrow Platform “User,” “Users,” “you,” “your,” or “Client(s)” and “Student(s)” as appropriate.
- Students are categorized as college students attending at least 12 units or more at any college or university.
- The community platform that we offer at our website (spaarrow.com) is referred to as the “Site(s).”
- Spaarrow’s Site and related services, information and communications are collectively referred to as the “Spaarrow Platform."
3. Information Collection
Information you provide to Spaarrow
Spaarrow collects certain personally identifiable information about you, including information that can identify, relate to, describe, be associated with you, or is reasonably capable of being associated with you (“Personal Information”). Examples of Personal Information that Spaarrow collects include but are not limited to:
Contact Information. This may include your first and last name, postal address, telephone number, and email address.
Billing Data, including your payment instrument number (such as a credit or debit card number), expiration date, and security code as necessary to process your payments.
Identity Information. If you are a Student, we may collect Personal Information, such as your date of birth and address, national identification number if applicable, together with the result of basic criminal record checks as provided by you, or by our Third-Party Agents (as defined below), as applicable and to the extent permitted by law in your jurisdiction, as well as such information as may be needed to validate your identity.
Financial Information. To help Students set up a payment account and help Clients make payments to Students and pay fees to Spaarrow, we may collect financial information, including credit card number, bank routing numbers, tax information, taxpayer identification number, and other payment information, as applicable. We use Financial Information in order to operate the Spaarrow Platform and to ensure that Students are paid by Clients. We do this as necessary for our legitimate interests in providing our platform and services and to fulfill our contracts with Users.
Promotional Information. Certain offerings of the Spaarrow Platform, such as newsletters, surveys, contests, and the like are optional and so you are not required to enter them or to give us your data in connection with them. Where you do consent to take advantage of Spaarrow Platform offerings, we will use your data to (as applicable) send you newsletters and other communications that are tailored based on information we have about you, or to operate and manage the survey, contest or similar offering in connection with our legitimate interest in promoting our business and the Spaarrow Platform.
Employment Information. We collect employment and education history, transcripts, writing samples, and references as necessary to consider your job application for open positions.
Content Information. You also may choose to send Spaarrow Personal Information in an email or chat message containing inquiries about the Spaarrow Platform and we use this Information in order to help us respond to your inquiry. We also collect content within any messages you exchange with other Users through the Spaarrow Platform (such as through our chat functionality).
We require that you furnish certain information when you register an account with us in order to provide services through the Spaarrow Platform. For example, if you are a Client, we collect your first and last name, email address, and your zip or postal code in order to create and administer your Spaarrow account. We also collect additional information in order to facilitate your booking request, such as information about the task you are seeking, the time, date and location of the task, and Billing Data. If you are a Student, we collect your first and last name, email address, mobile phone number and zip or postal code in order to create and administer your Spaarrow account and facilitate communications between you and your Clients through the Spaarrow Platform. We also collect information about your tasks, rates, and skills, as well as Identity Information and Financial Information.
Third Party Information. Financial Information, or fraud detection information, from Third-Party Agents (as defined below) and combine it with other information that we have about you, to the extent permitted by law, in order to comply with our legal obligations and for the legitimate interest in improving the Spaarrow Platform. Spaarrow may work with Third-Party Agents to perform identity checks and criminal background checks on Students, if applicable and permitted by local law, in order to advance our legitimate interests in ensuring the safety of our Users/Families and maintaining the integrity of the Spaarrow Platform.
4. Sparrow's Use of Information
- To operate and make available the Spaarrow Platform. We use your data to connect you with other Users/Families to enable the posting of, selection for, completion of, and payment for Tasks, in order to fulfill our contracts with Users;
- For billing and fraud prevention, on the basis of our legitimate interests in ensuring a safe and secure environment in which Clients and Students can meet and conduct business, and in order to comply with our legal obligations;
- To conduct identification and criminal background checks, if applicable and to the extent permitted by local law, on Users, in order to advance our legitimate interests as well as for the substantial public interest of ensuring the safety of our Users both online and offline, preventing or detecting unlawful acts, protecting the public against dishonesty, and maintaining the integrity of the Spaarrow Platform given that Students often interact directly with Clients and may enter their homes;
- To analyze Spaarrow Platform usage as necessary for our legitimate interest in improving the Spaarrow Platform to grow our business;
- To contact you and deliver (via email, SMS, push notifications, or otherwise) transactional information, administrative notices, marketing notifications, offers and communications relevant to your use of the Spaarrow Platform, with your consent when required under applicable law, as necessary for our legitimate interests in proper communication and engagement with our Users, and in promoting our business;
- To provide you with customer support in order to fulfill our contracts with Users;
- For internal market research for our legitimate interest in improving the Spaarrow Platform to grow our business;
- For troubleshooting problems for our legitimate interests in ensuring a safe and secure environment in which Users can meet;
- To assist Users in the resolution of complaints and disputes between them, as necessary for our legitimate interests in facilitating good relations among Users;
- To enforce our Terms of Service and our legitimate interests in ensuring our Agreement is complied with; and
- As otherwise set forth in the Agreement.
Analytics and Market Analysis. Spaarrow may analyze information (“Market Analysis”) as necessary for our legitimate interests in providing an engaging and relevant experience, and promoting and growing the Spaarrow Platform.
Spaarrow uses information to offer services to Users who express an interest in these services, through a poll for example, or to Users who can be presumed to have an interest based on results from our Market Analysis. We do this as necessary for our legitimate interests in providing an engaging and relevant experience, promoting our services, and growing our business.
Cell Phone Numbers. Spaarrow may use your cell phone number to call or send recurring text messages to you, using an autodialer or prerecorded voice, in order to provide you notifications about Tasks, for marketing purposes (with your consent where required by law), and to administer the Spaarrow Platform. If you would like more information about our policy, or how to opt out, please review the “Your Rights and Choices” section below or Section 9 of our Terms of Service You may be liable for standard SMS and per-minute charges by your mobile carrier. Spaarrow may also message you via push notifications (with your consent when required under applicable law), which you can opt-out of on your mobile device. Data rates may apply.
Call recordings. Calls to or from Spaarrow or its Third Party Agents may be monitored and recorded for the purposes of quality control and training. Such calls may contain Personal Information.
5. Information Sharing
Third Party Agents. We share information, including Identity Information, with entities that process information on our behalf for our business purposes. We contractually prohibit our Third-Party Agents from retaining, using, or disclosing information about you for any purposes other than performing the services for us, although we may permit them to use information that does not identify you (including information that has been aggregated or de-identified) for any purpose except as prohibited by applicable law.
To operate the Spaarrow Platform, including processing your transactions, we may share your Personal Information with our agents, representatives, vendors and service providers (“Third Party Agents”) so they can provide us with support services as follows:
- Email origination;
- Identity checks (currently carried out by our providers IDology (U.S.), and criminal background checks (currently carried out by our provider Sterling in the U.S. and Canada), to the extent permitted by applicable law;
- Fraud prevention and detection (currently carried out by our providers Sift Science and Emailage). Our fraud detection providers also use information relating to you and your use of and activity on the Spaarrow Platform to provide fraud detection services to their other clients;
- Receipt, invoice, or support services;
- Customer relationship management services;
- Data analytics;
- Marketing and advertising;
- Website hosting;
- Communications services;
- Technical support;
- To otherwise help us provide the Spaarrow Platform.
Promotions. When you voluntarily enter a sweepstakes, contest, or other promotion, we share information as set out in the official rules that govern the promotion as well as for administrative purposes and as required by law (e.g., on a winners’ list). By entering a promotion, you agree to the official rules that govern that promotion, and may, except where prohibited by applicable law, allow the sponsor and/or other entities to use your name, voice, and/or likeness in advertising or marketing materials. We may occasionally contact you, if you want us to, with information about special events, activities, promotions, contests, submission opportunities, and programs. You always have the ability, in your Account, to ask Spaarrow not to contact you with this type of information.
Matched Ads. We use Matched Ads by sharing personal information with another party or incorporating a pixel from another party into our own Sites, and the other party matching common factors between our data and their data or other datasets for advertising purposes. For instance, we incorporate the Facebook pixel on our Sites and may share your email address with Facebook as part of our use of Facebook Custom Audiences.
Other Users. Spaarrow facilitates contact between Clients and Students and reserves the right to share one User’s contact information (e.g., name, phone number, email, or postal address) with other Users, or with the recipient User’s legal or other authorized representative, in order to: (1) facilitate or communicate the resolution of an investigation or dispute related to or arising from an interaction between two or more Users of the Spaarrow Platform; or (2) facilitate the performance of a Task. This exchange of information is essential to the operation of the Spaarrow Platform.
Legal Obligations. Spaarrow and our Third Party Agents may disclose your Personal Information or User Generated Content to courts, law enforcement, governmental or public authorities, tax authorities or authorised third parties, if and to the extent required or permitted to do so by law or where disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (i) comply with Spaarrow’s legal or regulatory obligations; (ii) respond to a court order, warrant or subpoena; (iii) respond to a valid legal request relating to an investigation into alleged criminal or illegal activity; or (iv) respond to or address any other activity that may expose us to legal or regulatory liability.
In jurisdictions where Spaarrow is, according to applicable law, required to collect or remit information about Users’ permits, licences, tax, or social security registrations, Spaarrow and our Third Party Agents may disclose information, including but not limited to, User contact details, identification information, transaction dates and amounts, license and permit status, and tax identification number(s) to applicable governmental authorities.
Spaarrow reserves the right to disclose Personal Information from both private and public areas of the Spaarrow Platform in the absence of a court order, warrant, or subpoena, to the extent permitted by applicable law, if we are given reason to believe, in our sole discretion, that someone is causing injury to or interfering with the rights of Users, the general public, or Spaarrow or its partners, parents or affiliates.
It is our policy to provide notice to Users before producing their information in response to law enforcement requests unless (i) we are prohibited or otherwise constrained by law or court order from doing so, (ii) we have reason to believe the User’s account has been compromised such that the notice would go to the wrong person, or notice would otherwise be counterproductive or would create a risk to safety, or (iii) it is an emergency request and prior notice would be impractical (in which case we may provide notice after the fact).
Merger or Acquisition. Spaarrow reserves the right to share information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any proposed or actual merger, purchase, sale, or any other type of acquisition or business combination of all or any portion of our assets, or transfer of all or a portion of our business to another business.
Public Areas. Your profile on the Spaarrow Platform consists of information about you and your business, and may include information such as photographs, your years in business, skills and expertise, hourly pay rates, feedback/rating information, and other information, including your username (“Profile”). The information in your User Profile may be visible to all Users and the general public. If you choose to post a Task via the Spaarrow Platform, the contents of such listing will be viewable to Students you select on the Spaarrow Platform.
6. Spaarrow's Information Retention Policy
We retain personal data for as long as you are a User in order to meet our contractual obligations to you, and for such longer period as may be in our legitimate interests and to comply with our legal obligations (see Exhibit A for exemplar document retention periods). We may also retain data from which you cannot directly be identified, for example where stored against a randomly-generated identifier so we know the data relates to a single User, but we cannot tell who that User is. We use this kind of data for research purposes and to help us develop and improve our services, and we take appropriate measures to ensure you cannot be re-identified from this data.
7. Spaarrow’s Security of Collected Information
Your Spaarrow account is password-protected so that only you and authorized Spaarrow staff have access to your account information. In order to maintain this protection, do not give your password to anyone. Also, if you share a computer, you should sign out of your Spaarrow account and close the browser window before someone else logs on. This will help protect your information entered on public terminals from disclosure to third parties.
Spaarrow implements and maintains reasonable administrative, physical, and technical security safeguards to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. Nevertheless, transmission via the internet is not completely secure and we cannot guarantee the security of information about you.
8. Children’s Privacy
This service is intended for a general audience, and is not directed at children under 15 years of age. In certain jurisdictions, this minimum age may be higher. Please check the Jurisdiction-specific Provisions below for more information.
We do not knowingly gather personal information (as defined by the U.S. Children’s Privacy Protection Act, or “COPPA”) in a manner not permitted by COPPA. If you are a parent or guardian and you believe that we have collected information from your child in a manner not permitted by law, please let us know by contacting us. We will remove the data.
We do not knowingly collect or “sell” the Personal Information of minors under 18 years old who are California residents.
9. Jurisdiction-specific Provisions
A. Residents of the United States of America
Information of U.S. Users. Our collection, use, and retention of the Personal Information of U.S. Users is in accordance with applicable U.S. laws, as is our determination of what is deemed to be “personal data and/or information.”
Spaarrow expressly disclaims any liability that may arise should any other individuals obtain the information you submit to the Spaarrow Platform.
Interest-Based Advertising in the United States. For more information about interest-based ads, or to opt out of having your web-browsing information used for behavioral advertising purposes, please visit www.aboutads.info/choices.
Spaarrow’s Security of Collected Information. While Spaarrow will use commercially reasonable efforts to ensure the security of all Personal Information, we expressly disclaim any liability for any unauthorized access to or use of our secure servers and/or any and all Personal Information stored therein, and you agree to hold Spaarrow harmless for any damages that may result therefrom.
Additional Disclosures for California Residents
These additional disclosures for California residents apply only to individuals who reside in California. The California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) provides additional rights to know, delete and opt out, and requires business collecting or disclosing Personal Information to provide notice of rights California residents have and can exercise.
California Notice of Collection. We have collected Personal Information corresponding to the following categories enumerated in the CCPA, including within the last 12 months.
- Identifiers, including name, address, email address, account name, Social Security Number, IP address - and an ID number assigned to your account.
- Customer records, phone number, billing address, credit or debit card information, employment or education information.
- Demographic information, such as your age or gender. This category includes pieces of Personal Information that also qualify as protected classification characteristics under other pre-existing California or federal laws.
- Analytics and Advertising, including purchases and engagement with the Spaarrow Platform.
- Internet activity, including history of visiting and interacting with our Service, browser type, browser language and other information collected automatically.
- Geolocation data, including location enabled services such as WiFi and GPS.
- Inferences, including information about your interests and preferences.